Back to School Shopping-the Adult Version

It's the time of year again when going to the mall is an almost dreaded experience. Hallways and stores are crammed with lots of school children buying plenty of items not on the list, and a few on the shopping list. The younger ones with their parents. The teenagers proudly shopping without their parents. Probably buying clothing their parents won't approve of, and will have to return and try again. If you look closely you'll notice there are a fair amount of adults doing shopping...without any kiddos around. Their "back to school" list is a little varied. Let's compare. Child going into 7th grade: One 2” binder Package of loose leaf notebook paper (college rule) – to be placed in binder 1 package of dividers (for each class) Blue or black pens No. 2 pencils 2 Highlighters (orange & yellow) Pencil case Scientific calculator – TI-34 II (unless in Algebra) Algebra students must have a TI-84 silver plus edition graphing calculator Suggested items to have at home: Color pencils Ruler Protractor Compass Glue Stapler Scissors White-Out College Student: Laptop Car Ipod IPhone Debit/Credit Card School Mascot Hoodie/Sweats Flip Flops Long Board #2 pencils for scan tron exams scan tron exams Notice, the list is impressively shorter, but vastly more expensive. The amount of shopping bags being carried through the mall is less for a college student, then it is for a 7th grader. I used to be excited for that "new outfit" I got every fall for school. Now I can buy clothes whenever I would like. Spending 20 mins just picking out the coolest binder was worth it when other kids gave me compliments. Now having the right electronics is necessary. Buying pink pencils with silver sparkles made me have an excuse to get up and walk by the cute guy in the back row, on the way to the pencil sharpener. Now I just sit and type all my notes into my laptop not even noticing the guy who has been sitting next to me all semester. The school supply list has changed drastically. But I'll take the excuse to go get a "new outfit" for school any day.

Comments

Popular Posts