Bundt Brick...er Cake for 10 please.

The following is a tale of a fairly new GF (gluten-free)
gook attempting a new dessert recipe for a family dinner:

My loving older sis M invited my husband L and I over for dinner last week.

We were assigned to bring the dessert
along with the understanding that it would be delicious
because L and I have been cooking nothing less than gourmet style
as of late.
(all thanks go the "Take Home Chef" and Curtis Stone)
Oh, and it needed to feed 10 mouths.

The other stipulation was that it had to be gluten-free
and edible for those lactose intolerant as well.
(Which is the challenge I cook with every day as of late)

In this situation I would normally turn to L's all-time fav,
the Fruit Torte.
But I have already brought that to M's as a dessert option before.

Time to peruse the ol' cook books and try a new dessert.

I came across the chocolate bundt cake.
(yes bundt is the proper spelling of that word)

Lucky gal that I am, I had already acquired a free bundt pan
from a dear friend recently,
so the necessary cooking tool was in place.

A few facts about gluten-free baking if you're a newbie.
-because of the use of different flours and ingredients
the batter is not sweet before baking contrary to popular practice.
Do Not lick off the spatula!
-the consistency is more grainy the fluffy because of the different flours
- it doesn't "pour" out of the bowl, more so you have to scrape and spread it out yourself

Being only a GF cook and baker of 9 months myself
I am still trying out new recipes to find the ones I want to reuse
for the next 40 years at Sunday dinners.

I thought I'd give this a go.
Took me 2 attempts to get it just right
(and edible)

Here is the evidence of blooper #1


It came out looking more like a wreath for the door
and the consistency and hardness to match.
Let's call this a bundt brick shall we?

I discovered I did not put in enough liquid.
(the recipe asked for hot coffee but my family
and I are not coffee drinkers so I used
hot chocolate instead)

Once that mishap was resolved
here is what became result #2
and the edible version for dinner that night.


The other fact I learned is that this GF cake
must be enjoyed immediately after removed from the oven.
Otherwise it gets a little dry
and some of us opted to eat a slice along with some milk in a bowl
(a tradition for cake leftovers in my mother's home)

I now have a new recipe to add to my collection
of tasty delights,
and know to serve with ice cream of some sort next time.

Bon Appetit!

Comments

Popular Posts