the once over

I was going to write about how much I dislike air travel fashion. Those people who dress their comfiest, but not at all visually appealing to those around them. Then I realized how critical that sounded. Is it possible to enjoy such a topic as fashion, and not be critical? For me, the answer is no. Of all the years I have spent reading magazines, following trends, observing famous people's style choices, reading the reviews of red carpet attire, I'm not so sure I can let go of the visually critical eye I have. It's become second nature in everyday situations. I observe people everywhere I go. I don't just notice their smile, or the shape of their eyes. I always do a head to toe scan to see how their hairstyle, and clothing choices (including sizing of clothes) best suits them of not. Then I quickly do a mental checklist of what things I would do to help them improve upon what they already have. Not a complete make-over. Just how to better flatter who they are to show off their best selves. For example, I see a woman who has chosen a pant that does nothing for the length of her legs, but in fact actually makes her look shorter. I would help show her how to choose the right style, leg width, and color of pant to hep flatter, not hinder her appearance. I do this for everyone for the most part. Including men. During all this, I'm constantly exploring what works best for my body as well. This I believe will be a lifetime ordeal considering our bodies change so much over the years. How do I get rid of this critical eye? Or do I embrace this understanding of clothing that I have? If you see me doing a once over of you on the street, I wouldn't mind if you stop and ask me what I could do to help better your styling options so you walk away feeling better about yourself. Really.

Comments

Popular Posts