Raymonda-Full Length Ballet

Along with completing my MFA,
I spent my spring also helping set and perform in
Raymonda, the full length ballet,
in Tucson, AZ.

The music for the ballet is breathtaking,
and I loved having the opportunity to
work with the corps of the ballet.

I also got to play the mysterious character
of the White Lady.

Below are just a few pictures of the experience,
in no particular order.


Mark Nichols (the Prince), myself,
Janae Toone (Raymonda), Bryden Cais (the evil guy)


Carrie Hill (Countess), Myself, Mika Delongchamps, Danni Herrington (Members of the Court)

What was really fun about this ballet, was
that almost the whole faculty also performed character
roles in it. Normally we are just behind the scenes.


Janae Toone (Raymonda) Mark Nichols (the Prince) Bryden Cais (the evil guy)

One thing I loved setting in this ballet was the fight scene.
Very rarely does a ballet have a legitimate "evil" guy.
We lucked out with Bryden who was more than amazing
in this role.
What was also memorable was that the fight scene also
included his death.
The challenge was how to believably
show the fight and convincingly
kill the evil character (PG of course)
in under 2 minutes.


Myself (the White Lady), the Performance Ensemble in the dream scene

I did not do much in the ballet, but it was 
fun and because of the veil I did not need to wear a wig.
Having short hair is fun but can be a challenge
when dealing with costuming.


Full Cast and Faculty from Raymonda the ballet.


Sharing the opportunity to set this ballet
is one I will cherish. 
Learning the details and choreography of the ballet,
after Marius Petipa was historically rewarding
and artistically inspiring.

I look forward to opportunities to work
with classical ballets in the future.

Until then, turn up the radio and dance!




Comments

Popular Posts