Long Over Due Pt 2- Alvin Ailey

The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

They are one of the top dance companies in the United States.
Based out of NYC, they have been around since 1958.

They are on tour around the world 6 months out of the year.

They stopped and performed in Tucson,
which I had the privilege to see.

I purchased one of the last tickets available, which was on the
very last row at the back of the theater. 
I am so grateful for this because I believe I had the best seat in the house.

Choreography wise, Ailey not only created interesting movement
but the structures of his dances were just as important.
From the back of the house I was able to see the whole dance, 
shape and all, not just the movement.
It was breath taking.

 "Revelations"

Ailey is no longer with us, and the company has a new director,
Robert Battle.
I have heard a lot about him, and one of my fellow graduates
attended the Juilliard Dance School with him.
The dance that he is known for is "the Hunt", 
and it was on the program for the Tucson performance.
It was intense and as strong as I expected it to be.

The other dance on the program that was what everyone
was anticipating, was "Revelations".
The only dance that has been performed in the most
countries in the world.

 I have seen it on video many times, but never live,
and never by the original company.

It closed the show.

"Sinner Man"

"Revelations" is done in many segments,
and is based around the life of slaves.
It is powerfully moving with its gospel songs
and raw like but technically strong dancers.

The section that is most powerful to me is "Sinner Man"
with three men, who are so strong and unbelievably gravity defiant.

I wish it were longer because I could watch it again and again.

In the end the performance was so magical, and many people just stood around after not wanting to leave what they had experienced that night.

Click here to go to their website and learn more about
this historical dance company.

It is always an honor to be in the presence of dance history and
witness why we are here today.

~Keep Dancing-Dancer in Stilettos~

Comments

Popular Posts