Course Description for Grad School

I am almost half way through
my first semester of Graduate School.
I am attending the University of Arizona's
School of Dance.
My MFA is focused in choreography.
There are 6 grad students in my class this year.

Here are the classes I am taking
and a description.

Teaching Methods:
Learning how to appropriately teach beginning
level dance students in ballet, modern, and jazz.
Also how to communicate and work with
a live accompanist for each of these genres.

Preceptorship for Teaching Methods:
I am observing a beginning level modern class
taught by a fellow grad student.
I will be teaching that same modern class
at the end of the semester.

Preceptorship for Dance 100:
Dance 100 is a basic intro to dance class
listed as a Gen Ed Fine Arts credit.
All the first year grads are preceptoring the class.
I have been assigned 35 students that I am "teaching"
and grading through out the semester.
I also will be giving the lectures on "World Dance"
when we reach that portion of the syllabus.

Critical Issues in Dance:
This is a dance research class with a fancy title.
This semester our papers have to relate
technology and dance in the educational setting.
Our papers will be published online.

Grad Forum:
This is a weekly meeting Friday mornings
at 8am (so early!)
with all the grad students and a professor.
Currently we are building our
professional level CV's.

Ballet 400 and 300:
The only technique classes I am taking
this semester are Advanced Ballet
and Int/Advanced Ballet.
I am getting back into top ballet shape,
then next semester I will also take modern and jazz.

Institute:
This class is a religious course I am taking
that my church,
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, offers.
I had the time so I enrolled.
We are studying the Old Testament.


I am thoroughly enjoying my classes
and I am motivated to go to school
because all I am studying is dance,
which is what I love almost as much as my husband.

I'll go more into detail in future blogs.

Comments

Popular Posts