Naturally Theraputic

My family relocated to the New Orleans area last summer.
We were blessed to buy a home and property 
that has been the therapy our family has needed.
Different ways for each of us,
but communally healing. 

For my kids,
our home offers more room to play and be themselves.
The screened in porch is another area to explore
and utilize their imagination.
The porch equals a blessing when it's raining,
which it often does in the south.



For my husband,
more buildings to place his tools
and room to build and create with his hands.
An office to be able to work from home 
a portion of the time and spend more time with us.

For myself,
a peaceful beach house
with plenty of room to see my kids enjoy themselves
while also having room for myself.
A place to do yoga out in nature.
Garden fountains to always
hear the calming sound of trickling water. 

But most unexpectantly,
the outdoors.
Almost an acre of grass,
trees and creatures to explore and take care of.
Before this move, I had never voluntarily
completed outdoor work, leaving that to my husband.
But now that I have resigned and home full time with my kids
and my husband working more than usual,
the care of the home and property falls to me.


And surprisingly I embraced this new challenge.
I was given the unexpected gift of 
finding myself again emotionally and mentally
buy caring for the plants, mowing the yard,
weeding, trimming the trees and bushes,
and more. 

I'm learning about the different types of greenery
we are now the caretakers of.
Every time we see a bug, slug, gecko, lizard, snake
                                     and all the unknown ones, the kids and I stop to admire 
                                                          them in their natural habitat. 

The frogs and spiders in their webs especially
entertain my children.
When a spider web is found,
every morning the kids check on it
to see how the spider is faring.
And sometimes we'll find a little frog in our kitchen
that snuck in through the cat door.

One afternoon while playing outside,
we saw a bald eagle and another eagle
flying overhead.


I've always believed in the healing power of nature,
but I thought of it in the sense of going
into the mountains, or far away from everyday life.

But nature has taught me otherwise.
Just stepping out my back door on a daily basis
brings calm, centeredness, curiosity 
and the original playground.





Comments

Popular Posts