Refraction-Pt 1

I just completed the LSMSA spring dance concert "Refraction".

Loosely defined, refraction means to alter rays of light.
This was accomplished in the Black Box
by hanging up long sheets of sheer fabric, and then
shining the light through them.
Additional shadows and light pathways were 
created by the tree lights rays bouncing
off of the dancers, onto the walls.



The setting was unique, like that of a runway.
The dancers had multiple options for entrances,
exits and behind the scene traveling pathways.

Once the rehearsal process transferred from the studio,
into the performance space, it organically became a dance bubble.
Whenever the dancers performed, it was like they were
inside this bubble of light, and we, the audience
were sitting in the dark, outside, looking in.

The movement for this evening length work
was for me, raw and without any unintended layers.
I'm currently at a point in my life
that I feel I am in survival mode, and as such
only movement in its truest form was created organically,
in the studio, in cohesion with the dancers.

There was not much premeditated thought to the choreography.
The structure, yes. The music, yes. The casting, yes.
But other than that, each time I entered the studio, 
I never knew what was going to be the outcome that day.



I spent many a rehearsal reflecting on my time in my graduate program.
Words of my instructors lingering with sage wisdom such as,
there is no wrong view. Whatever view you have of the performance,
is the right one.

This particularly played a part in the setting of the space,
as no two people were going to see the same concert because
of the close proximity of the dancers, 
and the audience sitting on both sides of the stage.

I, myself, made sure to sit in a different seat and view 
each time the dance was run. I never really saw the 
same show twice. So many new moments stood out to me,
and I even would think that I didn't recall even structuring
or choreographing certain aspects.

I think some of that had to be credit given to the dancers though.
At some point in the semester, not sure when,
the dancers took ownership of this work.
They embodied it in such a way, by choice,
that I could not have directed.

I saw artists enter the dance space for each rehearsal
and performance. No longer were there technicians
on that dance floor, but humans connected to their bodies
in such a way that they could move and communicate
without and words, and didn't have a need for words.



I am still letting this experience marinate, 
and I had the opportunity to see the work be performed
7 times in a row.

I can only imagine the experience for those
who only attended once or twice.

Still resonating...



Comments

Popular Posts